Sunday, September 24, 2023

A Loathing Strategy

My most recent foray into the world of medicine has been difficult and harrowing.  I need a replacement hip because mine is a disaster.  Because medicine uses the outdated and unhelpful BMI standard to set boundaries for such surgeries, I must lose weight before I can have the surgery.   There is a *a lot* about this that is frustrating, including the fact that I am dealing with a pretty high level of pain.  To tell a patient “I know you’re miserable but no help is available” requires a great deal of bed side manner to not seem like a total dick.  Suffice it to say, I do not have that doctor.  And the fact that I will remain in pain until I meet an arbitrary number on a discredited metric is, ahem, frustrating.  It feels as if my life matters less because I am fat.  And it doesn't just feel that way, it *is* that way.  No physician that I have seen in the last few days is willing to look me in the eye as they explain that I must simply endure the pain.  Again, this is cold comfort. At the orthopedist, I was advised to come back in three months.  Because I *for sure* welcome the charge for that kind of dismissive and dehumanizing experience again.  

For now, the plan is to try not to eat so that I can lose weight and meet the metric, at which point I will return to the orthopedist and have the surgery.  The corollary plan is to do my best to avoid the self-loathing of my body that I had done a really great job vanquishing in the last 20+ years.  I know that self-loathing is not a helpful tool in this struggle, but body dysmorphia waits for no one, especially in a world where your primary problem cannot be solved because medicine has decided you are too fat.  Self-loathing is therefore in full command now, which is not awesome.  I will struggle on because there is no other choice.  Until then, pain and I will be unhappy companions.  And I will indulge in a whole lot of ongoing dislike and disrespect for medical science with each aching step.

No comments: