Saturday, September 30, 2023

Monthly Book Report: Delicious! by Ruth Reichl



Like every other cook in the world, I have read a good deal about Ruth Reichl and here and there, I’ve read Reichl herself, in Gourmet and elsewhere.  I’ve enjoyed her humor and joy in the day-to-day and I’ve always admired her appreciation of a well-cooked meal.  I picked up Delicious! from the library and it was a fun read as I transitioned from summer into the start of school.  

It’s the story of a young woman, Billie, who lands a dream job at Delicious magazine in NYC.  Just as Billie is settling into this quirky workplace, the magazine suddenly shuts down.  The rest of the novel is devoted to Billie finding her way forward, solving a mystery in the letter archives at Delicious and finding her self along the way.  

The story was filled with quirky - but believable - characters and I could feel the happy ending that I always enjoy in a book.  I worried that the recipes and food would be too much for me to enjoy as I am trying to lose weight so I can have a hip replacement, but that turned out not to be the case.  It was a happy little read and I’ll be back for more of Reichl’s work.

No comments: