Friday, September 15, 2023

Gratitude Journal: Making It Count

I’ve fallen dreadfully behind in my writing goals for this month and the only excuse I can offer is that thanks to my bum hip, I am behind on everything.  It is no joke to live with pain like I am experiencing and the discomfort blends into every part of life.  For starters, though it’s predictable that my hip will hurt, how it will ache is not predictable at all.  Will the pain be on my right?  In  my groin?  Radiating down my thigh?  Will a formerly comfortable chair now be absolute torture?  Can I stand up easily or will such an action be accompanied by excruciating discomfort?    It is both frustrating and terrifying to be limited in this fashion.  It’s also made my daily gratitude practice more essential than ever.  

Finding gratitude in the rhythm of the day helps to ease my fears as I wait for medical science to help me navigate a solution.  It reminds me that even if things are harder right now, it’s still worth my time to try and do them.  So I cut the grass when I feel up to it; I reorganize the front porch plants at the start of the month; I make time for home-cooked suppers eaten on the back deck.  I keep trying and I am grateful for the support of the people who love me and are helping me to find my way.  For that show of affection and support, I am as grateful as I can be.

No comments: