Friday, January 12, 2024

Sister Act

Today is my sister’s birthday.  I’m the oldest and when we were little girls, she used to threaten that one day she would be older.  I like to think that I was gracious about this - confident that time and space were on my side - but we’ll need KO to confirm that.  As adults, I joke that there was a screw up in the birth order continuum, because she’s the level-headed family general and we march to her orders.  That’s fine by me: she’s smart and funny, sensible and loyal and when my hip went suddenly south in August, she was unfailingly the solid rock that I needed. She put up with endless whiny texts and phone calls and was supportive and sympathetic, whatever the circumstances required.  The harder things got, the more she stepped up.  It is no exaggeration to say that I wouldn’t have made it this far into the journey without her good cheer and good sense.  Before I could summon the courage to ask, she volunteered to come East and look after me post-surgery.  That right there is KO in a nutshell: she knows what you need and she will get it done.  She is the very best sister a woman could ask for and I love her beyond measure.  

Happy Birthday, KO!

No comments: