Sunday, January 07, 2024

Worthy

At the December 15 appointment where the surgeon qualified me for the hip replacement surgery I desperately need, I was instructed that I could expect surgery in 6 weeks and that the scheduler would be in touch within 10 days.  When 10 days without a call passed, I called the scheduler.  She was polite but had no date - or even a prospective date - and indicated that I’d have a four week lead when she finally got me on the calendar.  It’s been three weeks since that first appointment; and more than one week since I called the scheduler.  I still don’t have a surgery date. 

The joy and relief I felt on December 15 has begun to wane.  As each day without a surgery date comes to a close, I make the struggle upstairs to bed where in the quiet darkness, I fend off the waves of despair that I feel.  With the help of my amazing pain management doctor, I can get some rest, but I haven’t had a full night of sleep since August.   January 16 will mark the start of my 6th month of living with crippling hip pain.  Over the last 5 months - 5 months - I’ve learned some tools to manage the disability.  But my world is small.  I go to work and then I come home.  Once home, I mete out the last of my energy to cook supper or run a load of laundry.  Groceries must be picked up as I can no longer walk through the store.  JT is indispensable; he does the bulk of our household chores while also trying to keep my spirits up.  He is my daily source of gratitude and grace and he never complains about helping me. Walks outside, a trip to the movies or a bookstore or to a cultural event are simply not an option.  Food restriction remains in place so even if I could go to a restaurant (I can’t), what would be the point?  My life now is small and getting smaller. Everyone reassures me that once I get a hip, a life rich with prospects will re-emerge.  I hope so, but I fear otherwise.  I recognize the dangers of that fear. It’s incredibly easy for me to slip into despair and to wonder if any of these doctors who swore an oath to do no harm actually give a damn about me.  In this case, actions speak louder than words, so I know the answer.  

Still, I try to choose hope.  For my Christmas stocking, I bought myself a mystery box from my favorite jewelry shop.  Inside the box was a tiny silver ring engraved with the words “I Am Worthy.”  It feels like the universe delivered this timely reminder just when I needed it.  Being required to lose weight to qualify for necessary medical care is demeaning and demoralizing; a daily reminder that my needs matter less and that I am not worthy in the eyes of some doctors.  I play a waiting game for medical care denied me because I am fat; it’s a game that makes me feel that I am not worthy at all. So I slip my silver talisman on my finger and struggle onward.



No comments: