Friday, May 09, 2008

Garden Talk

I'm experimenting with blogger this morning and, if the experiment succeeds, this post will come up at 11:11 am on Friday morning, though it was written much earlier. If it fails, well........the free world will remain free, I expect.

It took me a little longer than I had hoped, but as of this week my garden is now completely planted. Joining my little fruit trees are two different hot peppers, 2 types of squash, some bell peppers, and three types of tomatoes (Roma, beefy, and an heirloom yellow). I have cilantro, basil, oregano, and some lavender. Rounding things out is some early harvest lettuce. It's a series of small plants now, but all that will change soon enough.


I planted three rows of zinnias. If only I had remembered to wear my new garden gloves, I probably wouldn't have split open my thumb (though the tattoo bandaid is a conversation starter for my students).


We had a nice gentle rain the first night after the planting was complete. I consider that a good omen. For the next two months I'll water and weed, mulch and nourish. And by July there will be plenty of fresh produce at my table, as well as a generous bouquet of flowers. The garden won't just feed my family, it will feed my soul. And these days that's a much-needed thing.

No comments: