Monday, August 04, 2008

Delayed Gratification: August 1st


On the 1st of each month, I take a picture of the big tree in my backyard. I was away from home on the 1st, so I couldn't take a picture of my tree. I selected an alternate tree, but am just getting that posting up today because free wireless....not so much in California. And, yes, I see the layers of irony implicit in that reality.

But this posting is about a tree.

I took a picture of the lime tree in my father's backyard. His California garden has a lot of things that don't grow in my New Jersey garden (in addition to the lime, he grows tangerines, lemons, and oranges). He has some amazing tomato plants that have grown to be taller than I am. Those things don't happen in New Jersey.

But the lime tree is by far my favorite among the offerings. For one thing, it's lushly green. For another, it seems so exotic. I've just finished a book in which lime trees grow in the family garden. Though I grew up here, it's been nearly 20 years since I was a full-time California resident and I can't envision what it would be like to walk into my backyard and collect some fresh limes. So I like that that a tree I would once have taken for granted has become exotic to me.

Update: Finally, a photo. And I wanted to confirm that just as JBro suspects, the Sassafras Parents are big time into the Coronas with lime. That Corona ad you see on TV? Totally my parents' backyard. No wonder I like to visit.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So your parents spend most evenings drinking Mexican beers with limes from their own yard in the bottles?

Shark Butt said...

That is one deluxe lime tree