Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Thin Grey Line


Through the late spring and the summer, my front porch has been under repair. Photos and a full review of the project will be up on the blog soon (once I finish the final coat of paint on the railing), but for now I'd like to share my admiration of the thin grey line to be seen as you walk up the front walk. For more that a year now, the view from the front walk was of the very shabby porch floor, with the remnants of previous haphazard repairs and chunks of rotting wood. Not exactly welcoming (or safe, for that matter).

But now that the replacement boards have been nailed in and the porch floor is freshly painted, all you can see is this lovely, sturdy, uniform, thin, grey line. Every time I walk up the steps to the new porch I admire it anew. I am so very pleased with this home improvement project and I think that the pleasure I take in the new porch is yet another sign that I truly am an adult.

You are hereby instructed to ignore the line of grey paint on the brick steps. Sometimes there is a disadvantage to the employment of an 8 year old assistant painter.

Update: To answer JBro's question, I have a rocker on my front porch. And I do sit out there and rock away.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

Yay, it looks great, and I'll bet it feels great underfoot as well. Congrats.

Unknown said...

A porch to be proud of. What's your rocking situation? Chair? Glider? Swing? Swaying while standing?

Shark Butt said...

Looks even better in person.