Monday, November 03, 2008

All Politics, All the Time: The Change I Believe In

Over the course of the past year I've pointed out many, many reasons that I think its time for a new leader in this country. By now, it's fundamentally clear that I support the election of a Democrat to the White House. But as the election has come to a close and poll after poll has suggested that Barack Obama is truly headed to the White House, I've been startled about just how good I feel about his potential election.

I spend my days teaching history and politics to a group of highly motivated and racially diverse young men and women. I believe in the power of the American dream and when I teach about the revolution and the claims to liberty made by our founding fathers and the unique structures of our representative democracy, I am always a proud of my country.

Of course, I never lose sight of the downside to the American story. The 1776 revolution did bring liberty to more people than any other nation in history. Even so, we still permitted slavery for vast numbers of men, women, and children. Women did not receive the franchise until 1920. It wasn't until 1965 that we truly guaranteed the right of African Americans to vote everywhere in this nation. And even since then, our record of improving race relations is not always worthy of praise or pride. For all the stories of American accomplishment when it comes to freedom and equality, there are times we have fallen badly short of the promise of our revolution.

When Barack Obama tells his life-story, he points out that his is a quintessential American story. It truly is. For the bi-racial son of an African immigrant father and a young, white Kansan mother to achieve election to the highest office in the land is a distinctly American story. It's proof of just how far the dream has come.

In the last few years, I haven't been very proud of my country's behavior in the world. I've wondered if we can undo the damage of the Bush White House at home and abroad. When Barack Obama promises change, I believe him. I respect the way he tells us it won't be an easy fix and promises to lead the way; to help us move ourselves forward. For the first time in a while, I expect to be proud of my president, proud of my government, and proud of my country. I can look at my son and at the diverse faces at my school and promise these young people that the American dream is alive and well; that our nation does stand for something great and grand in this world; something more than the sum of our parts.

That's the change I want and it's change that I can believe in. And tomorrow morning, when JT and I go to cast our ballot for Barack Obama, I'm going to feel incredibly proud to be an American. I'm going to stand in that voting booth with Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Lyndon Johnson, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, and countless others by my side. I'm going to do my part to make them proud of the United States.

Tomorrow, I'm going to feel like I am handing my son and other people's children a country that will once again delivers on its promises. I'm looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Noticed the comment about robocalls. We got two McCain robocalls, and we only have cell phones. Anyway, I'm glad to hear someone else is as passionate as me about this election. I already voted by mail, so my work here is done.