Sunday, October 11, 2009

All Politics, All the Time

Regular readers will note that I haven't been writing about politics as much as usual.  Part of that is that the return to school finds me once again talking politics every day, and so there is an outlet for my thoughts and ideas.  And yes, my students appreciate your sympathies.

Part of it is due to my frustrations with the political process these days.  The downside to winning control of government when one is a Democrat is that it's only half the battle.  What inevitably follows is the internal bickering about how much progressive policies we can put in place.  I have not been impressed with Democratic Congressional leadership.  But that pales in comparison to the right-wing juggernaut of criticism. 

I believe that better ideas and policies flourish when there is a real engagement of varying viewpoints.  I have a genuine appreciation for some thinkers on the right (emphasis on thinkers).  Folks like David Frum and David Brooks engage my intellect.  I may not agree with them, but I respect the differences of opinion they offer.  But other critics, those who incite ignorance and complain without offering alternatives, for them I have lost my patience.  It's one thing to disagree with the plans advanced by the Democrats in Congress and the Obama Administration, but it's another thing all together to actively wish for our nation to fail.  It's not just selfish, it's short-sided.  I find it enormously frustrating when politics sinks to this level.  So I've been lying low on politics for the last few months.

This week, that's going to change.  For the rest of this week, I'll be writing about politics every day. 

You've been warned.

No comments: