Saturday, January 16, 2010

Doing My Part

The web abounds with information about reliable organizations collecting resources to help the people of Haiti.   But last night my friend N sent me a link to a MoveOn.org petition that I hadn't seen before.  MoveOn is requesting that credit card companies forgo their share of the transaction fees generated when people use their credit card to make a donation to charitable organizations helping out the people of Haiti.  It will take less than a minute to sign the petition. The folks at MoveOn are organized and they are loud. If you just sign, they'll do the rest of the work.

Of course I signed.  And then added a short statement to be shared with credit card company CEOs. My statement reads: "I appreciate the ease that your card brings to my life.  I understand that you are in it to make money and most of the time, I'm okay with that. But making money off of other people's terrible destruction is not okay.  Surely your mama taught you that?  Do the right thing. Please."

The petition is here.  I hope that y'all will join me in signing it.

1 comment:

Nichole said...

I saw on HuffPost that credit card companies are making a killing off of people's generosity. Cynical me just thought, "That figures." Maybe I should be a little more proactive instead of so cynical. . .