Sunday, February 14, 2010

Distance

This past weekend, JT and I went to an art community in northern NJ.  We were there with my school's very patient ceramics teacher and some of his students.  The students are there to learn how some different kilns work.  The biggest event of the weekend is the building of a wood fired kiln; getting this project to succeed requires 24 hours of supervision.  I am not the person to supervise a zillion degree kiln, though JT did have a turn or two.
I spent my time reading, playing cards with JT, watching the students at work and I helping to cook food for the work crew.  JT and I also took some very nice walks in the snowy woods. 
But the most amusing part of the weekend is the giant van I drove to help bring the students and their supplies up north.  On Friday, as the students got to work, JT and I set off in search of a sled (we'd forgotten his and all that snow on the hills around us was just calling his name).  In the empty giant van, with enough room to seat 12 people, JT climbed all the way to the back of the van announcing, "I need a break from all the chattering on NPR."
Roger that.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

"I need a break from all the chattering on NPR."

The kid is a work of art.