Last year, as the the new decade got started, I spent some time thinking about how I could view the start of a new decade as a fresh start for myself. I'm getting a little long in the tooth for fresh starts, but I need to believe that age needn't control our hopes and dreams for the future. And so I vowed to make a greater effort to expect more from life and to spend more time concentrating on the incredible blessings of my world. Mostly, I've made a success of that effort. Some very good things happened last year. So I've decided to make a list of the biggest blessings of my 2010.
1. Trip to Alaska with my family…..especially seeing Glacier Bay and managing the zip line adventure without humiliating myself.
2. New bathroom! A consequence of a bad thing (the leak in the bathroom) was that the problem was solved and I got a new bathroom out of the solution. Stressful, but very happy in the end.
3. New living room furniture!
4. Gym membership….soon enough, I plan to write about this, but let me just say for now that the ability to work on gym-quality equipment has made me for a great change to my workout life. Which is most happy.
5. My sister's visit for my birthday. KO's whirlwind trip was quite the celebration. Even if I am as old as rocks.
6. Taking on some long-term house projects, making a success of them, and feeling really, really proud of myself.
7. Cooking always makes me happy; in the past year I learned to make ganache and whip cream. Being the sort of person who often has the ingredients for both on hand is lovely.
8. My Life List and the permission it gives me to think about my future.
Not bad for one year. I'm making plans for 2011 and in my world, that constitutes progress of a most significant nature. It means that I'm less afraid of the future, which may very well be the biggest blessing on this list.