Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Real Life Conversation with the Sixth Grade: Ambitions edition

The backstory:  My 6th graders offer a whole new world view, as was the case in this conversation I had with student V about time management in class.

Me:  Why aren't you working on the worksheet, V?

Student V:  I'd rather do it at home.

Me:  But then you aren't doing anything in class.  You should use class time to complete class work.  Then you can review it at home.

V:  Why?

Me:  Because that's how you learn to manage your time and work effectively and because that's when I am her to help you.  One day, when you go to work, you'll need to use your work time efficiently and do your work during the work day, not at home.  We should practice now.

While V thought over this gem of wisdom, Student H chimed in with a tone of great confidence:  I don't need to worry about this because I am going to be a pop star when I grow up.


In which case, all these lessons about Roman civilization might not be all that useful.

No comments: