Monday, June 20, 2016

Time


May is always the most hectic month of the school year.  JT’s baseball season is winding down and he’s preparing for final exams.  The days of the month are growing steadily longer with sunlight to greet even the earliest morning and we seem determined to fill each moment of light with an activity.  In my classes, the students are wound up with excitement about summer.  I embrace the busy chaos and put my all into it aware that summer break and relaxed days are just around the corner.  The year, around the corner took a little longer than usual to arrive.

Early June found me packing up and heading to Washington D.C. in the company of our 8th graders for their annual trip.  School closed on June 10.  We had graduation and final faculty meetings and then T, JT, and I packed up for a midwestern trip to see some ballgames and make some college visits (more on that later!).

I’m exhausted just thinking about it.

All of this added up to some longer-than-usual stretches with no posting on my blog.  That was because I didn’t find the time to write.  I missed the time to write and reflect that a more regular posting schedule provides me.  In the midst of the chaos, I really could have used a reminder to sit down and record my thoughts, time that gives me strength in my daily existence.

Like time for a walk outside in my garden, time to write soothes my rough edges and makes the busy days seem less stressful.  I keep a file of reminders about each month in my year and this reminder about May and early June will come to the top of the list for next year: take time each day to write.


No comments: