Thursday, September 08, 2016

Getting My School Legs

The first day of school was Tuesday.  That evening, our school had a performance to celebrate our 250th year and so yesterday wasn’t a school day.  I did go to work, but I was in summer mode, with wet hair and flip flops.  Last night, I struggled to fall asleep, my mind whirling with all the things that need to be done.  This year, we’ve adopted a new schedule, one with longer periods and a rotation.  We needed the change, but it certainly leads to a more complicated new school year.

From today on out, we settle into our regularly scheduled days.  And by settle, I mean start to teach and live with the new schedule we’ve adopted.  So much planning has proceeded these weeks that I can no longer sort out what excites me and what terrifies me about the new schedule.  I’m ready to start living with the days we’ve planned.

As anxious as I am to settle in to the normal routines, I still got up this morning and longed for an extra cup of coffee on the front porch.  So I may be ready to really get the school year underway, but I’m clearly not ready to say goodbye to the relaxation of the summer!

No comments: