Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Down for the Count

On Friday evening, a wave of physical exhaustion swept over me.  I assumed I was just extra tired and so I tucked into bed early.  Saturday night, after spending much of the day at school for an Open House, I felt the same kind of exhaustion.  Plus, I was really cold.  Again, I thought nothing of it and went to bed.  Sunday dawned and I felt a little tired.  But T and I went grocery shopping anyway.  By mid-day, I was once again exhausted.  By 4, I’d put on my pajamas and taken to the sofa under a heap of blankets watching endless episodes of American Pickers.  I went to bed at 7:30; JT came home and gave me a kiss on the cheek he was so worried.

Monday, I took my feverish self to school to help out with a day of community service.  I felt like death on a cracker and nearly everyone who saw me asked, “are you okay?”  I came home at midday and had a nap and finally admitted the truth: I have the flu.

Today I am home while Old Man Tree gets a complicated trimming from a veritable army of tree trimmers.  I’m drinking endless cups of tea and contemplating the fact that moving from the sofa to the teapot feels like a Herculean task.  It’s been years since I had the flu but let me assure you that it still sucks.  I don’t get sick very often and I am the world’s worst patient, resentful of the fact that I am sick and generally convinced that I’m doomed.  Dr. Google is especially helpful in this regard.  

I highly recommend a flu shot, if you haven’t yet gotten around to it.  Because the flu is not fun.

No comments: