Saturday, October 01, 2016

In the Backyard Neighborhood: October 1

I am of two minds regarding the arrival of Fall weather. On the one hand, I like  sleeping with the windows open and I enjoy a cozy sweater on a cool morning.  I’ve already started to admire the trees whose leaves have begun to change.  On the other hand, I’m not ready to pack up my flip flops.  And I am nowhere close to saying goodbye to the leafy green trees.  So the arrival of Fall feels like something of a mixed blessing.  In the backyard corner, things have begun to change.


The peach tree leafed out early this Spring but it’s looking more and more ready for a break from the obligations of growing.  


The hostas are weary and even this week’s cooler weather and rain can’t hide the tired edges of these leaves.



The rains of the last few days will help to make our Fall a pretty season.  I remind myself that each season deserves its turn in the spotlight and that Mother Nature runs this show, not me.  I’ll be sad to see the end of the green trees but the I’m looking forward crisp leaves, big pumpkins, and the mums of October.  They are  a reminder that every season gets its turn to show its beauty.

No comments: