Friday, November 04, 2016

On Light Posting

Last week, I was down-for-the-count with the flu. Because I work in a school, I always get a flu shot and I’d already had mine this year when the fever and chills took hold.  I felt like I’d been hit by a bus.  But, in typical Sassafras fashion, it took me three days to believe that I was actually sick and not just really tired and in need of a new mattress.  By then, I was no longer interested in leaving the sofa and it was too late to start Tamiflu.

Awesome.

The flu’s real specialty is the lingering illnesses it causes.  I was no exception.  A week in, just as the flu symptoms began to ease, I developed an impressive cough and sinus infection.  

Cue the antibiotics.

My lungs like to flirt with seasonal asthma and the flu hooked them up…….bring on the wheezing, bronchitis, and coughing now so severe that I couldn’t lay down at night. Daytime coughing spells featured the always exciting prospect that my gag reflex would kick in and I’d hurl.  Plus, my voice was weak and talking made me cough.  This is a problem when you consider my line of work.

Which is to say that things just got better and better.

Thursday, I hauled my wheezing carcass to the doctor for visit number three and acquired a dazzling array of treatments.  


By the end of Thursday, I felt better.  Codeine-laced cough syrup gave me a chance to sleep for more than an hour between coughs.  As of today, I am feeling better.  I still don’t have much of a voice (an irony I think we can all appreciate).  I remind myself that can’t last forever and I have every reason to believe I am on the mend.  That’s happy!



No comments: