Thursday, May 24, 2018

A Full Heart


Posting has been light for the last few weeks.  I’ve been busy, as the school year always is in May.  There has been splendid weather to enjoy; this Spring’s blooms seem especially lovely.  But none of that has really kept me from writing.  The main barrier to me sitting down to write has been brimming full heart I carry with me wherever I go.  

Just a few days ago, JT finished his last classes at our school.  In the coming weeks, there are Senior activities, the sports banquet, prom, and graduation to celebrate. These are exciting times for him and I am eager to soak it all in and enjoy the moments.

But alongside the celebration is the reality that we are closing a chapter together.  Gone are the daily commutes to and from school.  Past are the days when I will catch a glimpse of him in the dining commons or across the quad as I walk to class or a meeting.  Just writing these words down makes it seem more final.  

It’s not as if I didn’t see this coming.  Children grow up and my boy is no exception.  I have so many happy memories of our school life together.  He’s prepared to move on to college.  I appreciate how lucky I am that he is ready.  I am grateful for my blessings.  There is so much about the next chapter that feels exciting and I am looking forward to it.  But as I prepare to watch my boy walk across the stage and receive his diploma, my heart is full.  So very, very full.  

No comments: