Saturday, January 12, 2019

For the Birthday Girl


Today is my sister’s birthday.  Her card may arrive in her mailbox on time but her gifts will arrive a bit late.  She’s a talented gift-giver herself, and I think I got things right, even if I didn't get them there on time.

My sister and I are just three years apart and one of my earliest memories is standing in the kitchen of our house talking on the phone with my dad who called from the hospital to share the news that I had a little sister.  It was exciting at the time and she was only a few hours old.  Today, on her birthday, it’s worth noting that KO’s arrival always brings a burst of energy and enthusiasm.  She’s a celebration in human form.  


She’s funny, smart, and beautiful  (the photo above was made at JT’s graduation and if she wasn’t my sister I’d hate her for the fact that she never takes a bad photo).  She’s also loyal and kind-hearted, with the sort of sound judgment and perspective that ensures even the worst days feel manageable.

I always joke that there was a fuck-up in the birth order continuum and that I have no business being the older sister in our family.  When we were little, KO used to vow that she would one day be older than me.  These days, I’m over 50 so she gets the last laugh on that front.  I may be older but is she who sets the example for being in this world.   Happy Birthday, KO!


No comments: