Monday, September 16, 2019

Volunteer Gourd


Last Fall, toward the end of November, the neighborhood squirrels helped themselves to the gourds and pumpkins on my front porch, taking a few bites from each and then moving on for other items on the front porch buffet.  Before the month ended, the pumpkins and gourds were unceremoniously tossed off the porch into the flowerbed below, where they were left to rot over the winter.  I do this a lot, because this produce is good fertilizer.

This year, some of the seeds took root and in August, I noticed a squash vine clinging to a front yard bush.  I’m a curious gardener so I let it bloom to see what would appear.


Gourds.

A few of them, by the looks of things.  The vine is now clinging to several feet of bush, proudly showing the whole neighborhood what a messy gardener I sometimes am.  I’d be embarrassed, but the gourds are nice and I plan to add them to my October front porch display.  In this way, the squirrels can dine again and the cycle of garden life will b complete.



No comments: