Friday, March 20, 2020

Report from the Home Front: Hope and Love edition

A week into Spring Break, a week I have spent safely at home working on school materials and trying to relax, it feels like time is working in a whole new way.  On the one hand, the days are strangely similar.  On the other, nothing feels the same.

T and I had tickets to see the Indigo Girls live this coming Saturday.  The concert was postponed and instead we watched them live on-line last night.  They played and answered questions and at one point more than 60k people were watching.  It felt like a community of the hopeful and with the music still whirling about my head, I am grateful for the break in anxiety.

When I feel my fear mounting, I count my blessings and I am grateful that I have work to which I can attend.  And then I limit the amount of news that I read or listen to and pick up a book.  I don’t need any more panic in my landscape.

I’ve done most of the work to turn my craft table into a desk for me to manage remote learning when school resumes on March 30.  I’ve made lesson plans to get things up and running.  I've made supper for my family each night and we've eaten together, which is very nice.  Next week, I’ll practice the remote learning lessons in earnest, getting my videos, digital assignments, and screencasts together.  So far, those activities and chirping birds has helped to sooth my jangled nerves.  In times like this, that feels like enough.

Hope y’all are well and taking time to tell your people you love them.       

No comments: