Saturday, August 05, 2023

Among the Trees: Back Deck Zinnias

My first house in Nebraska had a fireplace with a terrific Craftsmen-style mantle.  In the backyard garden, I grew zinnias, cosmos, dahlias, and gladiola flowers that I arranged in bunches on the mantle all summer long.  I liked coming into the living room and admiring the flowers from my garden.  Sassafras House doesn’t have a fireplace and bouquets get set on the dining room table.  That’s nice, but I have missed flowers in the living room. 

This summer, I planted zinnia seeds in pots on the back deck.  They can be seen out the back window from nearly every vantage point in the living room and it’s been lovely.  

I’ve cut a bouquet or two but mostly I enjoy seeing the flowers from the windows or sitting among them on the back deck.  The bees feel the same way.




That’s happy!

No comments: