Friday, August 25, 2023

Thoughts on Back to School

I rolled into Summer 2023 with a great need for some peaceful days and the high hopes that would happen.  More than mid-way through August, and with my eye on the start of a new school year, I’m able to reflect on the last few month with a full heart.  

Miserably unhappy right hip not withstanding, this has been one of the nicest summers I can remember.  The weather was terrific for much of June and even when the heat arrived, it was not unbearable in New Jersey.  I spent countless hours outside on the back deck or the front porch, relaxed and glad to turn my face to the sunshine.  

But the real star of this summer has been its stark difference to the anxieties and worries of last summer.  I am incredibly grateful for that and though it will be some time before I take such ease for granted, it was nice to have it.  JT worked hard and found some measure of peace.  I found pleasure in my own company and took the time to reach out to friends for companionship when I needed it.  

Whereas last September I was glad to start school because it meant a break from the tension at home, this year finds me approaching the start of the year with genuine excitement for what the school year will bring, not just relief.  It’s nice to value back-to-school for its own prospects.  

My classes are ready to go.  I love prepping a new class but there is a certain amount of tension involved in the process, as so many new lessons means nothing familiar to fall back upon. This year is my fourth year of teaching Civics & Citizenship to 8th graders and I’ve made some adjustments that I am excited roll out.  At this point, the class is still a new-enough prep that I am pleased by its newness.  At the same time, I’ve done it enough that I have a sense of what works well and what needs fine-tuning.  

But, honestly, most of my ease as I approach the Fall is in the fact that my boy is finding his way.  He is excited about the school he will teach and coach at this year.  He remains at home but for both of us it’s a place of rest and respite, no longer layered with the prospect of minefields.  As Fall approaches both of us look to the new season with excitement at the prospects it offers.  That’s happy!

No comments: