Thursday, August 10, 2023

Style Journal: In Praise of Cardigan Sweaters

I love a cardigan sweater.  There is something about them that meets all my style requirements: Casual, dressy, and everything in-between, the cardigan sweater has your back.  Literally.  

Worn buttoned up with just the top button undone and a necklace peeking through: classic and dressy enough for most occasions.  Worn over a matching shell:  a twin set will never be wrong.  Tossed over a t-shirt with a casual denim skirt: cute and casual to meet the day’s requirements.  When you grow up in California, the idea of sweaters feels like a choice that will see you through one short season: Winter. But in my East Coast world, a cardigan is a four-season affair.  I have several, in colors and fabric weights to meet whatever demands I make of them.  

I thought of this when I was in Vermont for a few days off earlier this week.  At the last minute, I threw my light blue three-quarter sleeve cotton cardigan in my bag.  It was handy in the evenings on the back deck of the cabin we stayed; cozy over my nightgown in the morning, and welcome during our rainy day adventures in town.  This sweater is the utility infielder of my Spring and Summer closet.  The color goes with anything - plain and simple without being boring.  I feel just a smidge more put-together when it’s in my bag or draped over my shoulders.  My inner preppy is always best-pleased by its tidy, stylish presence. 

That's happy!

No comments: