Friday, May 12, 2006

E-lec-tricity, E-lec-tricity

Last night, there was a terrific electrical storm in central Jersey. When I went to bed, it was raining but when I woke to a long, loud rumble of thunder at 2 am the sky had just opened up and we were in the midst of a big spring storm. Naturally, my dog was barking with fright and I feared that would wake up JT. I got up to check on the boy, but he was burrowed under his blankies and hadn't heard a thing. As I went downstairs to reassure the cowardly pup, I heard that sighing sound that tells you that you are now electricity-free. So now I am awake and taking a tour of my house. A quick look outside demonstrates that the neighbors are also electricity free. Within an hour, power was back on, though half of my house had blown a circuit. Since it was the half that included the fridge, this required immediate attention. I flipped the switches on the breaker box and then came upstairs to hear the steady hum of the fridge. I reset the clocks and checked over the house once more before I headed back up to bed.

All is well this morning and in hindsight, the whole experience was pretty empowering for me. Lisa's out of town and this is the sort of thing she would have handled while I sat in the living room watching her frenzy of activity. But I did it all my self this time and that felt good.

No comments: