Sunday, May 14, 2006

That's Mama to You

When I first was trying to get pregnant, I was set on Stacy-junior calling me Mama. From the time I was a little girl with dozens of doll-babies in my care I wanted to be called Mama. My sister once told me that Mama is a white trash name (I have no idea why she shared this view with me), but I don't care what anyone thinks of my name.

To me, a Mama is soft and warm with a cool hand when you need it and a ready laugh. On a bad day, Mama makes your favorite foods for supper. On a good day, Mama is the person you can't wait to share the happy news with. Mama drops everything to make cookies on a rainy day or ride bikes on a warm day. Mama lets you stay at the park as long as you like. Mama lets you have play dates that go all day long. Mama packs hot chocolate in a thermos when she takes you and your buddy to go sledding. Mama reads an extra chapter in the book at night because she also can't wait to see what happens next. Mama lets you wear your Indian costume to Target. Mama isn't perfect but she apologizes when she screws up. Mama means what she says.

The idea of Mama was crystallized for me in a 1994 documentary about Bill Clinton's 1992 campaign for the presidency called The War Room. Political disclosure here: I like and respect Bill Clinton. I think he was a good man and a terrific president. I think he truly cared about what happened to the average Joe and Josephine Citizen. I get that not everyone feels this way, but I don't care what everyone thinks. I like and trust the guy. But I digress......Late in the film, after the general election season has begun, Clinton debates George Bush and Ross Perot. The debate is a decisive victory for Clinton and afterward he walks into a room of cheering supporters. He looks a bit dazed by the excitement in the room. He's going to win the election and seems to really know it for the first time. Everyone in the room knows it. The room is energized and they all want a piece of Clinton. But he looks around until he sees one woman in the corner. His whole face lights up and the first thing out of his mouth is, "Hi, Mama."

I want to be that kind of Mama.

No comments: