Thursday, November 30, 2006

Easing in to the Season


It's November 30th and I have on my hands a boy all atwitter about the impending visit of Santa Claus. We've been talking about it for the last week. I have mixed feelings about facing this first Christmas as a single mama but I appreciate JT's enthusiasm, his joy, and his excitement. It helps me to see the big picture.

Tonight we started to decorate our house. We searched the basement for his advent calendar. Each drawer in the box will have a treat as he counts down the days until December 24th. And we placed a light in the front window, a symbol that a weary traveler can find rest and comfort inside our home. Finally, we put up the holly and the wreath on our front door. It makes our home just a little more welcoming and for me it represents my effort to welcome and embrace the coming month.

1 comment:

Jane said...

My kids and I put up our Christmas tree on November 30th. This was the first year that I put it up so early! It makes me thankful to have my kids by my side because I get to see the wonder of these little joys for them. This is my 2nd Christmas on my own with the kids and it really does seem easier than the first one. Just keep with some traditions (or start new ones with your son) and you will weather it just fine.