Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Feeling Blue.......and Oh So Good

As predicted, the Democrats had a good night last night. As of this morning, they've taken 28 races and counting, which is a historically solid achievement. And they are still in the running for the Senate, with Jim Webb of Virginia and Jon Tester of Montana holding on to slim leads. Who knew that Conrad Burns of Montana, tainted by the Abramoff scandal, could possibly hold on?

President Bush has a press conference at 1 pm, where I expect he'll talk about his desire for bipartisanship governance. I have my doubts, but I've not had enough sleep so I will try to be hopeful.

In 1984, I was so crushed that Geraldine Ferraro wasn't going to be the Vice President. At the age of 16, I wondered when a woman might come to real power in American politics. Back then, I thought it would be soon. Since then, a number of terrific women on both sides of the aisle have emerged as Senate and House leaders; a number of states have elected women governors. But we're nowhere as close as I would have expected in 1984. When I look out at the students in my classes, I see some young women of immense potential. Young women who won't take no for an answer. So to see Nancy Pelosi of California, the House Speaker-to-be, take the stage and claim victory for her party, was immensely gratifying. I am more hopeful than ever that one day my 6 year old son will have the opportunity to cast a ballot for a woman president.

No comments: