Saturday, December 16, 2006

Holiday Treats


Today has been declared cookie baking day at our home. We haven't finalized our cookie list, but JT has requested sugar cookies and brownies, so those will make the cookie tray for sure. I'm in the mood for shortbread, so I'll be making that. And no holiday would be complete without rocky road fudge. Next week, he'll bring cookies to his classroom and I will bring treats for all of my classes. It's a tradition that we both enjoy.

Last night I got out the big roaster, which I use almost exclusively to make cereal mix, another holiday tradition at our house. For those of you playing along at home, the recipe is reproduced below.

6 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
3 cups corn chex cereal
3 cups rice chex cereal
3 cups wheat chex cereal
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup bite-size pretzels
Heat the oven to 250 degrees. In a pyrex bowl, melt the butter and stir in the Worcestershire and spices. In a large baking dish (I use my roasting pan), combine the cereal. Pour the melted butter and spices over the mixed up cereal and gently stir to coat everything. Place in the oven. Roast for an hour, stirring the mixture every 15 minutes.

No comments: