Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Suddenly I Could See Clearly

I went for my yearly contact lens eye exam yesterday. I chose a new doctor this year because last year's eye doctor (from one of those doc in a box eyeglass places) recommended a new contact lens and, much to my dismay, I followed his recommendation and ended up with the Acuvue Glass, Sand, and Grit in Your Eye lens. I believe that the official name was Acuvue Hydroclear Advance. It was neither clear nor advanced. Frankly, it was a pain in the......eye.

I had followed his recommendation against my better judgment as the old lens brand had been happily serving me for years. But he sagely suggested that the Glass, Sand, and Grit in Your Eyes lenses would allow my eye to breathe better. "They're new," he said. "Everybody is getting them, " he cajoled. And who am I to deny progress?

I hated these lenses from the outset and when the new doctor asked what I was wearing and whether I liked them, I was vehement in my dislike. She smiled and said, "Yes, I've heard that before." It seems that the evil lenses have been withdrawn from the market because many people feel the way I do. Lots of doctors were urged by Acuvue to give them a try, in part because they'd make more money. But the product is not a success.

Ha! Vindication at last. It turns out that the Acuvue Glass, Sand, and Grit in Your Eye lenses are made of silicon, which does allow the eye to breathe better. But, whereas most disposable lenses need to be replaced once a month, the Acuvue Glass, Sand, and Grit in Your Eye lenses need to be replaced every two weeks because they cannot be easily cleaned. Alas, my insurance only covered 12 pairs of lenses a year and the Acuvue Glass, Sand, and Grit in Your Eye recommender had conveniently failed to mention that I would need to buy an additional 12 pair (perhaps because he knew I wouldn't switch if this fact was revealed?). Thus, for about two weeks every month I suffered.

And not quietly.

I'm back to the old retro lenses now and I'm a happy, happy girl because of it. 2007 is looking better already.

Literally.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

We like to hear that you're a happy, happy girl!