Friday, December 08, 2006

The New Jersey DMV

It was time to renew my driver's license and so I headed on over to the local DMV yesterday afternoon. I'll start with the good news: I was in and out of there in 20 minutes. Despite the horror stories about proving your identity, they gave me no grief at all (basically because they ignored their own rules) and it was easy to secure my fancy new digital license.

What I can't get over is the squalid, third world look of the DMV. The place was funky smelling, the floors were dirty, the paint was peeling and the whole office looked like the 3rd circle of hell to which bureaucrats are assigned in the afterworld. But for the brand new picture of Governor Jon Corzine, a smiling despot overseeing this wonder of modern bureaucracy, the place looked as if they were still working with the circa 1970 decor. The employees were as nice as one would expect given their wretched office conditions. But honestly, you'd need some serious antidepressants if you worked there every day.

And I have one last question: why did all the employees have a pierced eyebrow? Is this part of the DMV civil servant code in New Jersey? I demand answers.

1 comment:

Shark Butt said...

Piercings are not part of the mandatory dress code, simply because several of the negotiated contracts do not contain a dress code.

As for the squalor, that's not part of the negotiated contracts either, it's just bonus.