Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Real Life Conversations with Freshman

The scene: 6th period, once again working hard to distract me from the topic at hand.

N: The dress code is unfair.

Me: Life is unfair.

N: Girls get away with murder. They can wear whatever they want and not get demerits.

Me: Yeah, I think you're right. But, men make $1.00 for every 80 cents earned by women and that's also unfair. Because life is unfair.

N: But it should be fair.

Me......pausing while I contemplate an appropriate answer, looking thoughtfully at N as I realize that he is wearing sneakers. A dress code violation.

Me: Are you wearing sneakers?

N: Yes (and not bashful either, kind of prideful, really).

Me: Have you gotten a demerit?

N: No.

And now I burst into laughter because it would seem we are not exactly in the presence of a grave injustice.

Me: So why is it that the Roman Empire collapsed?

No comments: