Friday, April 27, 2007

Basement Bilge, round 2

We had some big rain last night. For more than a week now, my basement had been dry. Please note the use of the phrase "had been." When I heard the rain falling at 2 am, I checked things out. All was well. But by this morning, the tide had turned and I was awash in water. I came downstairs at 6:30 in the morning to discover that I would need to swap my linen skirt for shorts, a t-shirt and my water-tolerant flip flops (a festive green). It's not nearly as bad as last week, but honestly, I'm over it.

There was enough water to use my powerful 3600 gallon an hour pump for the first 30 minutes. I did that all by myself, as the labor crew was still tucked into his warm and soft bed. The pump needs to be immersed in two inches of water, so once I got the water below that level, I had to revert to the wet/dry vac. I had returned the 16.5 gallon vac to its rightful owner so that left me with my 2.5 gallon vac. As one might imagine, that is not a particularly efficient method.

Today's plan is to secure a larger wet/dry vac,for my long-term use because OBVIOUSLY this problem isn't going away soon. The rain is forecast to stop by 2 pm and the sun should be out this weekend. But, honestly, I need to be done with this particular brand of fun.

No comments: