Monday, April 09, 2007

Real Life Conversations with JT

When he is tucked into his bed at night, after stories have been read and when the sleeping music has been turned on, J.T. often turns philosophical, asking the big questions about life. Last night, as we were reviewing our Easter Sunday, he asked about his other grandparents.

J.T.: How come we don't ever call Grandma and Grandpa Yummy?

Mama: Well, they are Mommy's parents and I assume that she calls them so you can talk to them.

J.T.: Not as much as we call Grandma and Grandpa California. And when we do call, they don't both talk on the phone like Grandma and Grandpa California.

Mama: That's because they don't live together any more, sweetie. They are divorced.

J.T.: Oh, just like you and Mommy.

Mama: Yes.

And then there was this pause, and I could just hear the wheels turning in his head.

J.T.: Are they still friends?

Mama: I don't really know the answer to that question.

J.T.: Because you and Mommy aren't friends anymore, are you?

Mama: Well, sometimes it's hard for Mama and Mommy to be friends. But Mommy still loves you very much.

J.T.: I know, but I wish that she also loved you Mama, then she could be with us every day. Did she ever love us both? Because that would be nice.

And now I'm crying, and I don't have any more answers. So he looks at me, pats my shoulder, and says, "I love you Mama. And it's not your fault."

He has a kind soul, this boy of mine. And it's becoming ever more clear to me that he helps me to make my way in this world at least as much as I help him.

2 comments:

Shark Butt said...

That apple didn't fall far from the Sassafras Mama tree!

Shelley said...

No far making me cry via the internets!

Okay, it's a good kind of cry, thanks for sharing.

Guess where he learned about compassion...?