Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A Nice Family Moment

In the last few months, the local Jehovah Witness church has been targeting my neighborhood for conversion. They come almost every weekend, usually on Sunday morning. They often bring their children in their efforts to save the unfaithful among us. Though it often requires me to stop mid-workout, I answer their ring at the door and take their flier, politely letting them know that I'm not interested. I keep hoping that they will see the rainbow sticker on my car and realize that I've already made my commitment to the dark side.

I've explained to J.T. that we don't believe what they believe. And I've shown real thoughtfulness on this, not just boiling it down to the fact that they don't celebrate holidays with presents. If I revealed that fact, he'd probably greet them at the steps with a "what the f*&k?" look on his face.

They didn't come around last weekend and I had dared to hope that they had given us up for the lost cause that we are. But I'll be damned if they weren't here on Monday morning. J.T. saw them first. And in an instant, we agreed to hide in the back room while they walked our block. We took turns monitoring their progress and then giggled like two lunatics when they rang our doorbell. We shushed one another as we waited them out. There we were having a happy family moment avoiding the call of organized religion on our front porch.

3 comments:

Shelley said...

I can totally picture this and am grinning from ear to ear.

Elspeth said...

A friend of mine used to be bombarded by them very often. After a while he gave up ignoring them, hiding from them or telling them to go away. One day when they knocked, he opened the door naked and stood there asking them what they wanted ... and they never came back.

lumbab said...

I love the naked idea!