Monday, November 05, 2007

In Which Last Night's Insomnia Proves a Problem

I didn't sleep much last night and generally that's no way to begin the week. Today it proved a particular challenge while I was teaching ancient Chinese history to my freshman in the morning. I was explaining that peasants built earthen dikes around the Huang He River to protect their crops from periodic floods.

And I write dike on the board.

And (you can see this coming, can't you?) yes, I spell it dyke.

Nice.

I quickly fix the spelling error and make my standard joke: I need spellcheck for the chalkboard. The class doesn't seem to notice, though I fear they were just being kind.

Several hours later, I'm still embarrassed.

4 comments:

Shelley said...

OMG, no fair making me laugh like a maniace when I'm in my office with the door open and everyone can see I'm completely ALONE. Bwaahh hah hah!

Shark Butt said...

Hmmm, what's on your mind?

Chelle said...

Don't know why but all I can see are piles of beautiful women along a river bank. :-)

Gill said...

LOL!!!