Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Leftovers?

The Thanksgiving holiday signals the eating season, and so I think the day calls for another recipe. This time, it's to help you with all those leftovers in your fridge.

Though my status as a citizen will surely be reviewed once I admit it, I'm not a big fan of turkey. Neither am I a big fan of wasted food. So roasting a big ole' turkey and dealing with the leftovers is just not my idea of Thanksgiving fun. This year, I avoided the whole turkey. I know what you're thinking, but no one at my house went hungry. There was ham, corn muffins and biscuits (homemade!), corn, green bean casserole, cornbread dressing, whipped sweet potatoes (don't get me started on the apostasy that is baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows), fresh cranberry sauce (no cans at my house), macaroni and cheese, cherry pie with vanilla ice cream, and potato soufflé. The soufflé is made with mashed potatoes, which might very well be sitting in the fridge at your house. Don't just heat up those leftover potatoes in the microwave (I'm talking to you, KO). Make something really yummy with them.

Potato Soufflé
(also known as Yummy Potatoes........thanks for the recipe, Mom)

2 cups of hot mashed potatoes
1 package of cream cheese, softened
1 small chopped onion
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons flour
salt & pepper to taste
1 can french fried onions (6 ounce size)

Get out the mixer and whip together everything but the french fried onions. Gently mix those in and then put the whole mess into a greased baking dish. Bake for 35 minutes at 350 degrees.



Happy eating!

Update: I've just received a call from the Sassafras Sister........she's a bit bent out of shape because it would seem that the recipe for the potatoes listed above is sourced to her husband (known around here as Uncle M). So apologies to Uncle M for not giving him the credit that he is due, not just for the potato recipe but also for putting up with the Sassafras Family in the first place. Take a bow, Uncle M. You've earned it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My wife would like to take issue with your opinion of baked sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Without spousal pressure from me, we may have eaten just three differently-sized dishes of that for Thanksgiving.

JAXTER said...

I have to say that I loathe the traditional sweet potatoes, but, last weekend we had them laced with just vanilla... then C found a recipe and made them yesterday and they were out of this world! Sweet, but not the cloying sicky-you want to vomit-sweet. Just plain yummy, yummy! It seems to me they might go really nicely with your potato recipe... I hope it was a great day - and if you get a hankering (thought I guess you won't) we have PLENTY of turkey.

Shark Butt said...

A fine scald was put on those potatoes and all the other fine dishes on the Sassafras table.