Sunday, April 18, 2010

Household Happiness: Tea Tin

In keeping with the theme of the week, I'm behind on this posting, which I usually try to make on the 15th of each month.  On the other hand, grades were turned in on time, quizzes are graded, and the child has been delivered to his many activities on time each day of the past week.  At least the basics have been covered.  And every day this week, when I finally got home, there was tea to welcome me.

I am a woman who enjoys her habits and routines.  Among the most comforting of those routines is that in my home, there is always tea to be had.  When the days are cool, that's a pot of hot tea.  When the weather turns warm, the iced tea pitcher is in use.  To keep my tea habit in style, I keep the tea bags in a little tea tin that I've had for years, so many of them that I don't even recall when I bought it.
I do know that when I make my daily tea, I open the tin.  Piled inside are stacks of tea bags, ready for a warm pot of tea or a cold pitcher.   My daily cuppa is made with Red Rose tea, the same tea my mother used when I was a little girl.
 I especially love habits like this, which I think of as the traditions that keep me fixed and secure in a world that to me feels neither fixed nor secure.  But no matter.......there is always a cup of tea to be had. And that's happy.

No comments: