Sunday, February 03, 2013

Longing for a Snow Day

When my school decided that we would make up 8 of the 9 days we lost to Hurricane Sandy, the headmaster affirmed that we would still take snow days as normal.  I found this a consolation because snow days are an unexpected and always happy day off.  Sure, I have to shovel snow on such a day but I also get to sleep in.  That's called a win in my book.

For the last few days, it's looked as if there was a sound prospect for snow tonight, meaning a snow day tomorrow, the day after the Superbowl.  Perfect timing, Mother Nature, I thought.  We haven't had a snow day yet this season (because we really haven't had any significant snow) and I figured that a Monday snow day was a ringer.

Well, a ringer if we got snow.  But the forecast looked promising and I allowed myself to begin to count on it.  This morning, I eagerly checked tonight's forecast……what had earlier been a forecast for two to three inches is now a forecast for less than a half inch of snow.  Enough to be a hassle tomorrow morning, but not enough to earn me a day in my pajamas.

Mother Nature, I don't mind saying that you let me down.  I'm prepared to be forgiving, but is one snow day too much to ask?

No comments: