Saturday, September 27, 2014

Late September’s Chronic Condition

In the event that you are a teacher or know a teacher, you are aware that right around week three of school, overwhelming exhaustion sets in.  In my case, that’s followed by the horrifying thought that something is desperately wrong and that soon I will be diagnosed with an incurable disease.  Then I sleep for 12 hours and realize “oh, yeah, it’s week three.”

Right on time, I experienced that revelation this week.  I’m fighting off my first cold of the school year.  Last night, I slept for 11 hours and this morning I feel like a new woman, albeit one who can probably sleep another 11 hours tonight.  I’ll spend the next few weeks finishing out the process of getting my teacher’s sea legs and by mid-October I should be in good shape.  By then, I’ll have piles of assignments to grade and plenty of fall leaves to admire.  And I’ll realize anew why I love what I do for a living.

No comments: