Sunday, May 03, 2015

Trouble in the Pink Ghetto

I call the pink girl-luring toy aisles in stores the pink ghetto.  Though I understand the appeal of pink in the little girl universe, it bothers me that boys’ and girls’ toys are such a distinct and different world.  We market toys for boys that encourage action and engagement.  Girls toys are things and many of them objectify appearances; little action is required.

It’s been years since I had a little boy who loved to visit the toy aisle.  I can only fight so many battles and I am the mother of feminist boy, so I’ve done my part.  But our recent trip for a trash bin caused us to stroll by the pink ghetto, where a lone pink tricycle was in the aisle.  JT obliged me with a photo opportunity.


There may still be a little boy in my teenager.

No comments: