Monday, February 29, 2016

February Book Report: Lost Lake

February’s book transported me to summer as I read.  Lost Lake, by Sarah Addison Allen, is set in southern Georgia, around a lake in the humidity of a Georgia summer.  I could practically hear the cicadas and see the fireflies as I read.


Like all of Allen’s novels, there were moments of magical realism in this story about a mother and daughter piecing back together their life.  For a woman who lives in a reality-based existence, it’s surprising how much I enjoy the magic in these stories.  That and a happy ending keeps me coming back to Allen's novels.  I didn’t enjoy Lost Lake as much as I loved Garden Spells, another Allen novel set in the warmth of the South, but the characters were well-drawn and it was a good and gentle read for the chill of February.  

No comments: