Friday, February 23, 2018

Letting Go: Tacos for Supper


The backstory: This year, as JT prepares to head off to college, I’m writing about the traditions that spell love in our home.  I’m thinking of them more mindfully than usual as I prepare to send my bird from his nest.  For me, these traditions  were always about a securing a happy and well-loved childhood in preparation for a happy adulthood.  They are about creating memories that will endure and this year, writing about them is helping me to think about the next chapter in our lives.

Chicken tacos are the house meal of Sassafras House and if we love you, you’ve been invited to have chicken tacos at our table.  They are both a treat and an everyday meal, a hands-down favorite that never goes out of style.  We have them to celebrate birthdays and the first day of school.  We have them to mark the end of the week on Friday.  We have them on Tuesdays because, why not?  Tacos spell home and family, they spell love and tradition.  And they are always delicious.  Taco supper looks and tastes the same every time.  In that familiarity is the tradition at the heart of my home.  


We had our most recent taco supper on Sunday, to celebrate JT’s 18th birthday, the end of the wrestling season, and the love of family.  


That's happy and delicious!

No comments: