Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Renewal


At the end of the day today, when T and I tuck into bed, my boy will be home for some rest and catching up and I will fall asleep aware and glad of the blessings in my life.  This will be my first break since the end of September, when T and I took a day off to travel north and watch JT race.  That single day off was lovely after a busy start to the school year.  But it was followed by week after week of long days and more than a few evenings at work.  I love my job but I am spent.

Teaching for a living means a flow of emotional energy in one direction, outward, to look after the needs of children.  I neither resent nor regret that; I love what I do for a living.  But I also recognize that it can take its toll, especially when workdays regularly extend past 9 or 10 hours and into the weekend.  Done right, teaching and school administration is both a lifestyle and a career.  I do my level best to do it right.

Doing it right also demands that I take the time to rest and re-group.  So the coming five days off are as hard-earned as they are much-desired.  I will be glad to cook and enjoy some leisurely meals with my family, to grab a work out at the start of the day when I am neither exhausted nor sore-footed, to have an extra cup of coffee and read and extra chapter of my book just because I want it.  

That’s happy!

No comments: