Saturday, February 22, 2020

Spring Obsession


Though it’s been a mostly mild Winter around here, that hasn’t stopped me from a nearly full-time obsession with Spring in the last few weeks.  As has become my annual tradition, I will declare Sassafras Spring in the next 10 days, packing up Winter tights and swapping out my dark wool sweaters and corduroy skirts for lighter colored clothing.  I have had enough of Winter, even if Winter hasn’t quite finished with me.  

I won’t start wearing flip flops in public until temperatures crest 60 degrees because I don’t wish to seem a complete fool.  But Winter shoes will be packed away for the season, replaced by an array of sneakers to be worn with socks.  I may have cold ankles but I won’t have cold toes.  Dark sweaters will be swapped out for pastels and combinations of navy blue and white, colors that spell Spring in my mind.  They are cotton instead of wool and they will make me feel like Spring is here, even if blooms and persistent warm sunshine are still holding out for a few more weeks.

This process of seasonal change will be accompanied by my usual flirtation with the notion of wearing pants, because pants seem useful  when Spring is chilly.  I always think that pants could be nice and I am prone to elaborate fantasies that the perfect pants can be found.  But the reality is that I mostly dislike pants.  I might even say hate, though I usually don’t care for that word.

In the meantime, I’ll be the girl with the pastel sweater and pastel coat, keeping her fingers jammed in her pockets because she foolishly packed away her mittens.  My pride will keep me warm.

No comments: