Thursday, April 16, 2020

In Praise of Sleeping In

During my regular work days, I get up at 5:30 am and do some school work at home before I finish getting ready and leave the house for school.  I aim to leave the driveway at 7:15 and, for the most part I do.  The need to get up at 5:30 is to give me the chance to spend some time in the quiet of the morning before the chaos of school.

Now that the chaos of school with kids is on temporary hiatus, my morning routine is a much gentler affair.  Instead of a 5:30 am wake up, I get up at 7, shower and dress, and then head downstairs to get a cup of coffee and start my day.  

I miss the chaos and energy of time spent in the company of middle schoolers.  But it is an undeniable fact that the days land gentler when school is remote.  In my study, I teach my classes and then afterward I get things done with nary an interruption.  

Don’t get me wrong - I prefer school in a classroom together with my students..  But there are small advantages to my current days and it feels like we might get to May without the exhaustion that school in May usually bring.  I know for sure that the extra sleep has been a most happy development.  And these days, happy is good.  So I’ll embrace it and be glad for small blessings.

No comments: