Sunday, April 19, 2020

Front Yard Flowerbed Clean Up

I spent most of Spring Break avoiding a clean out of this flowerbed.  In normal times, I see it every day and the mess would have guilted me into it.


But pandemics and being housebound are not normal and so this flowerbed was easy to avoid.  The mess grew more burdensome as the days passed.

Today, I declared that enough was enough.  In the sunlight and warmth, I decided to get after the chore.  For starters, I knew I would be glad that I had done so.  And though I no longer pull out o this driveway each day, there is no reason I can’t step outside  and admire the flowerbed.  After all, it is at its most beautiful as April yields to the month of May.



A cleanup, which involved pulling off the remains of last year’s hosta blooms and trimming back the multiple shoots of volunteer rose-of-Sharon shoots, was over due.  The work now done, I’ve given the azaleas a shot at pretty flowers.


When the job was finished I took the time to peek over the porch railing and admire my work.


Moving forward, I still have need to clear out the dying evergreen bush on the edge of the bed.  But a daily peek at this flowerbed will bring me a reminder that Mother Nature is at her most lovely in Spring.  A beautiful Spring is a reward unto itself.  And, at a time like this, when worry and anxiety can easily carry the day, Mother Nature’s beauty is the best sort of remedy.

No comments: