Tuesday, April 07, 2020

Report from the Homefront: Searching for Grace

I had a lot of plans for Spring Break, most of which involved some time away from school and schoolwork.  Then, on March 12, the world turned upside down and so did my plans.  I spent most of Spring Break alternately fretting about the pandemic and planning to teach remotely.  Most days I did both at the same time.  

I was in front of the computer for hours and a little too prone to refreshing news feeds so that by the end of week one, having failed to pace my worries, I was close too overwhelmed.  It didn’t help that I’d gone into the Break at full speed, knowing that a break was ahead.

I was ready for some at-home time though I wasn’t quite ready for the only-at-home time that the month of March delivered.  Daily, I thought about things to write for my blog.  My digital journal is littered with more than a half-dozen half finished posts.  The truth is that I spent so much time in front of my screen planning lessons for school that when the work was done, I retreated to the sofa with a good book.  Day by day, I fell behind.

The more time that passed, the easier it became to dodge this blog.  Plus, it was easier to post on Instagram.  But this blog has seen me through many of life’s anxieties and it seems short-sighted to tap out now, when I know that a few years from now, I will welcome every record of this time.

So today I am renewing my commitment to post writings to this blog.  In the coming days, I will fill in the details of the time since my last post, on March 23.  And I will remind myself, daily, to look for the grace that can be found when I pause and look for it.

No comments: